Eye allergies can cause extreme discomfort and affect daily tasks like driving and reading. At Exquisite Eye Care in Houston, TX, we provide eye exams to determine the type of allergies that you may have and offer treatment for relief. Before visiting us, learn ore about eye allergies and how they are treated below:
Types of Eye Allergies
Eye allergies can cause symptoms like dryness, redness, itching and watering, which can interfere with your hobbies or accomplishing tasks at work. There are several different types of eye allergies with different causes. Some common eye allergies include:
- Seasonal allergies: Seasonal allergies are usually worse in the spring and early fall and are most often caused by too much pollen in the air. They can also be caused by dust, pet dander, and other airborne particles that are commonly present indoors
- Contact lens allergies: Contact lenses can cause eye irritation and pain when they’re not properly cared for. If you are constantly experiencing irritation from contacts, you may need medical treatment for relief
- Exposure allergies: Some eye allergies are caused by exposure to items that results in irritation, such as eye makeup or being around chemicals that create harmful fumes
Eye Allergy Treatment
Eye allergies may need over-the-counter or professional medical treatment if they don’t resolve on their own. Some most common treatments for eye allergies include the following:
- Eye wash or saline drops to keep your eyes clear of allergen particles
- Ointment to protect your eyes at night
- Medicated drops to reduce redness and itchiness
- Allergy medication or injections to reduce overactive immune responses
Diagnosing Eye Allergies
Even if you are experiencing mild eye allergy symptoms, we still recommend visiting our optometrists, as the symptoms can put your vision and eye health at risk. While it may be rare, you can experience complications form untreated eye allergies, especially if the problems occur from contact lenses.
Our optometrists use special equipment and testing tools to determine the root cause of your eye allergies and provide treatment. Some allergies can lead to infections and if left untreated, they can cause permanent damage. When you visit our optometrist, we will evaluate your condition and recommend treatment that will provide you with relief.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you have eye allergies, our team at Exquisite Eye Care in Houston, TX, our team is happy to help. We offer a variety of treatments that can reduce your symptoms and help you achieve clear vision. To schedule your appointment, call our office at (281) 580-3937 today!